Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Making a new Garbage Can - BrainStorm and Research

Ok -
 For this assignment I went to many of my neighbors and used my own experience to attempt to reinvent the current garbage can for the user. For the pickup I called a friend who has worked in the industry. I first asked about the problems for the homeowner. The most common were space - if stored in a garage or other, falling trash(when overfilled), tipping trash can during heavy wind, sanitation, durability, and hillside rodent dumpster diving. For the pickup the only problem stated was trash bags on the side of the can and the difficult placements in tight communities. For my brainstorming I came up with a lot - bigger wheels for easy movement, a sand based false bottom to make the can heavy, a handle bar that can adjust to flip down for storage or on top of the lid to keep it closed from rodents and in case of a tip over, a foot pedal to open the lid for sanitation or two handed loads, and another flip out plastic scoop on the back of the can for a bag   to sit on the back that will not obstruct the pickup and will fall into the truck as well, or a bungie net that can flip over from the lid and hook to the brim to hold in garbage from an overfilled can. I think these ideas are practical and cheep. The only concern I would have is the foot opener for the lid. The lid is heavy and the mechanics might not last for years and years.

No comments:

Post a Comment